Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Lottery Fever

Every time the lottery hits a certain threshold, usually above $500 million it gets a lot of media attention.  As if $200 million isn't good enough, ha!  So once again the media is all over the upcoming Mega Millions lottery draw since no one won last night's drawing.  I'm sure we've all thought about what we'd do if we won the lottery...buy this, buy that, pay off debt, travel, etc.  But, have you really ever thought about it...really?

We most often think about it when we're a little strapped for cash, some major incident happens or when we're really desperate....that's when we wish the hardest for it.  "If I could only win the lottery it would all be better."  But would it really?  Or would we just trade in our current problems with bigger more expensive problems?  There are many lottery winners that can attest to the struggles of being a lottery winner and many more that are examples of it causing them to go bankrupt.  So, I ask again...have you ever REALLY thought about what you'd do if you won the lottery?

In a calmer state, I have.  I definitely would give half of it away to charities, non-profits, etc.  I would want to share my good fortune with others because I'd know how lucky I was to be in that position.  And of course I'd do all the things I listed above...buy a new house, buy a new car, take care of my parents, travel, and spend it on making memorable experiences hopefully for the rest of my life.  But alas, the reality is that the majority of us will never experience a windfall of money like that so we just continue to dream...and yes, hope!

So good luck to you if you decide to play because you can't win if you don't play, right?  But when you awake the next day not a winner (as most of us will), just be thankful you woke up and are granted another day to dream and hope!  Blessings to you this hot, dry, humid week of summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment