Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Fitting In...

This past weekend, there was an Asian festival in a town nearby and I thought it sounded interesting, educational (for me) and fun.  But then my next thought was "I won't fit in."  Not by looks, of course, that's my 'ticket' in (not literally), but yes I would look like I'd fit in until I go up to any food booth and not know anything that is being served.  Yes, I've had Asian food in many different countries, but I never ordered any of it.  I just ate it!  So, I really don't know what I ate or what anything was called.

I just don't eat enough Asian food on a regular basis to really know what anything is.  I know that's not an excuse, but normally I need/want someone else to be there with me who knows what to order...or at least what is good.  And I suppose that these types of festivals are about learning and trying out new things to learn if you like them or not.  So yes, I'll take advantage next time!

What has your experience been in these types of situations?  Are you reluctant or are you always eager to immerse yourself into your Asian culture?  Or whatever culture you were born in, but don't know much about?  I guess it's also how willing you are to answer all of the inevitable questions you'll get from people asking "why you don't know" more about your culture, this food, traditions, etc. Because we all know those questions will come!

Either way, life is about learning and living so enjoy your next educational adventure about your culture and let me know how it goes!  I'm sure I'll share my insights with you from my next cultural adventure...whenever that may be!

Blessings to you this week!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment