Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Another First...

Before our NYC trip a couple weeks ago, my mom and I went to the nail salon to get a manicure and pedicure...of course!  If you've read my book or some previous posts you know the typical conversation that always occurs while I'm there..."where are you from?" That usually starts off the conversation.  Well, during this trip another first occurred...one that I didn't expect!

As we were sitting there chatting and somewhat relaxing the girls working on our feet and hands were chatting...of course in "that other language".  Oddly though, for the first time ever the girl working on my feet translated for us.  I didn't ask her to or even give her an inquisitive look..she just looked up every now and again and told us what they were saying.  Extremely interesting!  Then the young girl working on my fingernails asked me if I was Asian!?!?  Huh??  Don't I look Asian?  What other race would I be?  Maybe that's not the question she meant to ask me, but it was definitely a first!!!  Am I Asian?!?!  What???  It was probably the funniest and most obvious question ever!  I'm not sure I'll ever get that one again...but then again, you never know!

Sometimes you think you've heard them all...until, you haven't and someone shocks you...again.  I don't necessarily see myself as Asian as I look at myself in the mirror everyday, but I do see my Asian features.  Does that make sense?  I see me...not all of the time, but most of the time.  And yes, I wish I had more tips and tricks for Asian skin, hair, etc, but that's what magazines and blogs are for, right?  

Sometimes the most routine things in life throw us the most random and head-scratching questions/comments/thoughts...and that's what keeps life interesting!  It's that curiosity, that understanding and learning that continues to happen day to day.  So, as you go through your daily routines and cross paths with the same individuals every day (at the grocery store, gas station, dry cleaners, bakery, school, work, etc) appreciate the routine, but also revel in "firsts" or the unexpected.  May blessings fill your week with curiosity, knowledge and compassion!

No comments:

Post a Comment