Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Another First (Con't).....

A couple weeks ago I wrote about a recent trip to the nail salon with my mom.  The girl doing my fingernails actually asked me if I was Asian!?!?  Huh?!  Are you serious?!  

I forgot to mention one other thing that sort of surprised me and yes, was another first for me during our trip to get our nails done.  The girl working on my toenails actually guessed that I was Korean.  I asked her how she knew and was expecting her to say either "I just did" or "It's your cheekbones" BUT instead she said "Your skin is whiter."  Huh?!  What?!  Really?  I've never ever heard that before!  No one has ever said that to me!  My skin is whiter...whiter than what?  Most Asians have "porcelain" skin so most people say and that's why you see many Asian dolls with white porcelain looking skin.  But, I've never considered my skin to be "white".  I've always just heard that my skin has yellow undertones and that affects some of the makeup I should wear or even the palette of colors that I should wear...like, don't actually wear yellow!  

After she made that statement I didn't know what to say.  It just sat there in my brain for awhile while I tried to process it.  So, I didn't say anything in response.  Plus, when I get those types of statements or questions (especially from other Asians), I don't ever turn to the person I'm with and start questioning or commenting on how obnoxious or rude they are, and most of the time I don't take it as rude or insulting.  I take it with a grain of salt and am confident in my own self to laugh it off.  That person just doesn't get it and has no understanding of who I am or where I came from.  So, I just looked at my mom and smiled.  And then after we left and got into the car we talked about it!  Did you hear that?  Did you hear what they asked me?  Did you hear how she knew I was Korean?  

We all learn something new everyday...or at least I hope that we do.  That's what each day's journey is all about.  Learning and growing into the person that you want to become.  It's a lifelong process and some days our eyes get opened to new perspectives and new understandings.  So, while we're in the middle of the holiday chaos and cheer, let us take a moment to see something in a new light or learn something new...each and every day!  Blessings to you this week of holiday madness!  May you find peace or a little quiet time to reflect on your day and soak in what you've learned today, tomorrow and the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment