Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Paying Respects...

Yesterday I attended a Memorial service for someone I didn't know very well, but when I left I wished I had known him better.  Per my last post, a sudden and shocking loss of life for my childhood best friend who lost her husband.  She was the first friend I made when we moved to Texas so I know her and her family well.  She, her husband and I all went to high school together, but I only said "hi" to him once in high school.  I briefly spoke to him over the past several years as they had opened a gourmet popcorn and candy shop, so I would see him there when I stopped by.  I also had a book signing there when my book first came out and my dad spent most of the time talking to him.  So, my dad got to know him probably a little better than I even did!

But, after hearing some of the stories about him over the years, the relationships he had with friends and family and seeing a packed sanctuary yesterday it showed his true character and the measure of the man that he was.  His 15 year old son had everyone in tears...and then laughter.  There were a lot of laughs, tears and hugs yesterday...and that's how it should be!

Also sadly, it was a mini high school reunion with so many former classmates in attendance.  A lot of hugs, wishing we weren't meeting in those circumstances and a lot of comfort in seeing so many familiar faces.  However, I think I love seeing the parents more in those circumstances than friends.  Knowing that the parents have gone through so much over the years and still seeing their smiling faces gives us all strength and comfort.  They just hold a special place in my heart.  

Death is hard.  It's a part of life...we all know.  But, it doesn't lessen the grief or the pain when it comes especially when it's completely unexpected.  With a terminal illness you know the inevitable is coming so you can prepare for it...you expect it at some point.  But, when someone is suddenly ripped from your life it leaves a deeper hole of shock and grief.  As their 15 year old son stated with such rawness and sadness yesterday "It's not fair."  It's not.  But, I know with God, faith and the support around him he will grow up to be an exceptional member of society.  His mother has strength beyond measure and her grace is a shining example for all of us.  She truly is the sweetest, kindest person you'll ever meet, so please keep my friend, her son and daughter in your prayers for the days and weeks ahead.

Blessings to you today and every day that you make each day count to the fullest!!

No comments:

Post a Comment