Sunday, April 9, 2017

Easter Egg Hunts

It's Easter egg hunt time!  I'm sure you've seen them advertised all over (your) town...at churches, local subdivisions, your town, etc.  My parents and I took my 3 nephews and 1 of my nieces to my town's annual Easter egg hunt yesterday.  They had 4 different soccer fields filled with plastic eggs and candy for different age groups of children.  My parents took my niece to the 3-4 age group field and I took my 3 nephews to the 7-12 age group field.  We were planning out their strategy and wondering about the "silver" egg that contained a prize that was in every field.  I thought there was more than 1 "prize" egg, but an Asian mom next to us heard our discussion and told us that there's only 1 "silver" egg per field and the prize was an Easter basket.  She said you could just go buy one of those Easter baskets (fully filled) at Target.  Ha!  So, we decided to forget about the "silver" Easter egg.

The Asian mom was very friendly and told us they'd been there in previous years.  We (the boys and I) assumed the actual hunt would be over in less than 5 minutes and it pretty much was!  All the build-up and then it's over in a flash!  The Asian mom asked me to take a picture of her family and I did and she offered to take a picture of us, but we declined.  I took one of the boys before it started, but I did wonder if she wondered what I was doing there with 3 Caucasian looking boys.  If she did she didn't say anything.

I stayed close to one of my nephews holding the bag for his eggs, but the other 2 ran ahead to collect theirs.  Like I said, it was over in a flash and afterwards I couldn't find the other 2 boys.  I definitely had a moment of panic wishing I had told them to meet back where we started.  But, we just looked and looked until we found one and then looked and looked harder to find the other.  Sheesh!  Relief.  Then it was off to find my parents and niece and we had established a meet-back spot so that was helpful.  The boys were disappointed with what was inside their eggs, but I ensured them our Easter egg hunt today at my aunt's house (their great-aunt) would be much better...much more fruitful for them in the candy department.  They agreed.

We've had our family Easter egg hunt before at my aunt's and she does it up big!  She has a hunt for the kids and one for the adults.  She may have to have 3 this  year...one for the little girls, one for the boys and one for the adults.  We'll see.  But, the best one is for the adults, of course!  We all stand ready to go at the door until we get to elbow our way out ahead when the door opens.  Then it's a race to find the golden egg!  Yes, the grand prize egg.  Usually there are prizes in other eggs, but the golden egg usually has the biggest prize.  All prizes are gift cards to local retailers.  So, it's fun, competitive and exciting for all of us!  A well-anticipated holiday by all of us thanks to my aunt!

So, bring on the Easter egg hunts!  Many blessings for a memorable week leading up to Easter and all the festivities that come your way this week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment