Sunday, October 23, 2016

Garage Sale

Have any of you held your own garage sale or gone shopping at garage sales?  It's one of those quintessential acts between a buyer and seller that goes back as far as one can remember.  Someone is selling something (a good or service) and someone else is the buyer (of that good or service).  Today, most garage sales are a purging of one's belongings that you no longer need, want or use.  But, as they say "one man's junk is another man's treasure."  I think that's true...because the things I always thing will sell like hotcakes I'm still holding onto at the end of the day, and the things I think are "junk" sell quickly.  Go figure!

Yesterday we had one of our neighborhood garage sales and I had been holding onto our (my parents and my) "junk" for over a year.  They hold a neighborhood garage sale in early summer which is always too hot to participate in (like this year), so we waited until the fall one to try and get rid of all our "junk".  It was a beautiful day out and started off pretty chilly out.  My kind of weather!  Luckily, a couple of my other neighbors got their selling on, too, which always helps draw more traffic down your street if there is more than one other person selling.  The past couple of years when I have done it there's just been me on our street and it's been pretty slow...except in the early morning which is when most hard-core garage sellers arrive. But this year we had a steady traffic of shoppers drive by which was also thanks to my neighbor who advertised on Facebook!  It really made a difference!  And yet again, some of the things that I thought would sell didn't and most of the things I thought wouldn't sell did!  Luckily, I did get rid of a few things that were big sellers (in garage sale speak) and made a decent haul for about 6 hours of selling.

Now I have a clean and open garage again since we took all the leftovers to a local resale shop...ahh!  It's nice to have all the open space again...that is until the next purging takes place!  Actually, I think it'll be another couple years again before I need to do another garage sale, but thankfully this last one was a good one and not a complete dud!

Good luck with any buying and selling going on in your part of the world...and with the internet and tons of selling sites for the average person it's much easier to sell your things online to anyone and everyone!  Blessings for a prosperous week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment