Wednesday, October 26, 2016

As We Get Older...

As we get older our wants and needs and likes change...sometimes several times.  It's just part of experiencing life and understanding what you want, need and like at that time in your life...the awkward teenage years, the care-free college years, the trying-to-make-your mark years, the coming-into-your-own years, the mid-life crisis year(s), the completely content with who you are years, and the completely enjoying life years.  It's all a journey we all take as we learn and grow and come into our own...our true selves.  It's a process!

So, for my dad's birthday earlier this week he just wanted to spend it alone.  Yep!  Alone, without anyone around...peace and quiet all to himself.  So, we obliged.  He spent it doing probably one of his most favorite things in life...with cows!  Yep!  He went to the sale barn and watched cows being sold.  That's all he wanted to do, so we let him...ha!  Simple, yet profound in going back to what makes him the most happy as a kid, a teenager and an adult...just being around cows.  Yes, that's the ultimate farmer in him and as he gets older and maybe a little grumpier he speaks up for what he wants and doesn't want a little more loudly...and that's his prerogative as the elder statesman of our family.

Looking back what "wants and likes" have changed over time?  Growing up I never liked tomatoes, but I eat them all the time now.  I like a lot more vegetables than I did growing up!  It used to be just green beans, corn and potatoes for the most part.  Before I moved to California for work years ago, I didn't think I would ever buy a house before getting married or that I (as a single person) should buy a house.  But, after living in California and seeing the crazy housing costs I knew I could and wanted to buy my own house...even if I was single!  So yes, with knowledge and experience our perspectives change and we expand our horizons to hopefully become a better version of ourselves than the day before.

Yes, perspective on life changes as we get older and it's a good thing.  It means we continue to learn and grow and that's all any of us can really ask for as we continue our own life's journey.  So, for whatever wants, needs and likes are changing in your life right now I hope you appreciate them, reflect on them and embrace them!  Blessings for new perspectives to come into focus for you today and in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment