Sunday, August 10, 2014

K-Pop!

Have you heard about K-Pop?  Me either...until I read this article earlier this morning.  Is S.Korea the coolest place on earth?  http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/08/opinion/yang-korea-cool/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

It's an interesting look into pop culture, but one that S.Koreans have worked really hard to develop...and now it seems to be paying off.  That's the thing about Koreans...they work really, really hard to be #1.  It's a cultural thing and you can bring shame to your family if you don't work hard or succeed in whatever you are doing (school, work, sports, etc.).  It's a high pressure way to grow up with a ton of expectations placed upon you, but it's how they are raised and what they know.  I still think Koreans tend to be reserved and conservative, as well, but they do have a competitive spirit to be the best.

Have you been intrigued or sucked into the K-Pop popularity recently?  What do you like most about it?  What do you not like about it?  I think there was a lot of awareness about Korean pop culture when Psy broke into the public mainstream with "Gangnam Style".  But, other than that song and video I really haven't seen a lot of it where I am.  However,now I'll be keeping my eye out and seeing if the local teenagers are aware of it.  It could be a regional thing, too.  

Whatever pop culture is catching your eye these days, I hope it's a nice (and safe) distraction to your week.  Have a blessed week ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment