Sunday, April 28, 2013

Obligation or Not?

Remember the days of having no real responsibilities as a kid and just enjoying life as it came?  And then, every year it seemed like we gained more and more responsibilities...until all of our responsibilities filled up our daily lives and directed or shaped our daily decisions.  We're all responsible for ourselves, something, someone, etc.  So, as I approach the release of my first book new questions arise that I've asked myself but haven't answered yet.

I never set out to write a book or become an author.  That was never my intention.  My intention was just to see how many stories about being adopted I could write down.  But, as I began to recount story after story about my experiences of being adopted the thought of it actually becoming a book crossed my mind.  I knew my stories took a more fun and light-hearted view into being adopted than any book currently out there, so it would be different and unique.  That's good!  I knew other adoptees would be able to relate to my stories and I knew non-adoptees would get a greater understanding of what it's like to be adopted through more relatable stories.  Soooo, maybe I was onto something.  Could this really be a book?  Why not?!?!

Do I have an obligation or a responsibility to share my story?  Just because I'm adopted and just because I've had such a "normal" and successful life, am I obligated to share that with other adoptees?  I hope this book does inspire and give hope to other adoptees...but, do I have a responsibility to share my story?  Or am I just putting that burden on myself...whether this book is successful or not.  But when I wrote the book, I didn't think about any of that.  I was just enjoying writing down fond, funny, and frantic memories of growing up.  I wasn't thinking about any obligations I might have to others or if this book would be successful or not. 

Success is measured differently for everyone.  At this point, just getting my book published is a success...no matter how many people actually buy my book.  I can always say I published a book and add author to my title (another one of those labels we like to give ourselves and others).  So for me, striving to do something new, something unimaginable is what life is all about.  Continuing to grow, challenge myself, learn something new, do something new, and come out on the other side with life lessons, growing pains or great success!  That's what I hope to continue to do throughout my lifetime!  Conquer fear of failure or "what if's" and just charge ahead with hope, determination and resiliency! 

So, I'm not sure I can answer the obligation question yet, but I think I'll get a clearer picture after my book is published, is out there for inspiration or criticism from the world and I get feedback from you!  If I touch just one other adoptee with hope or a laugh, or an adoptive parent with a nod and a smile, or a non-adoptee with a more accepting heart and brighter eyes towards adoption through my stories than it was worth it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment