Sunday, October 22, 2017

How Do You Measure Life?

My dad turns 70 this week!  70!!  When I turned 25 he told me I was halfway to 50.  "Gee, thanks," I replied.  I hadn't even thought of that!  My little brother and sister turned 36 earlier this month, so prior to their birthday if you combined their ages they would equal my dad's...not sure he's ever considered that either!  You always hear "age is just a number" or "you're only as old as you feel", well, a lot of us feel better darn old!  But, what does age mean to you?  And as our grandparents and parents age, how do you measure the totality of their lives?

I don't think I've really comes to terms with the age question.  I definitely freaked out a little bit about turning 40, but other than that I've been pretty good about turning another year older every year.  Actually now, I can barely remember how old I am when people ask.  I seriously have to think about it.  I think my proverbial response will always be 27!  Yes, not even (the holding pattern of) 39, but I'm sure I'll get there!

But, as all of my grandparents have passed for some time now and my parents get older I definitely see their age more.  It's a little scary and sad if I really think about it, but I'm also thankful for all the time (and birthdays) I've had with them.  I know many of my friends haven't been that lucky.  I think I've mentioned it before but I really can't imagine life without either of my parents.  They both mean so much to all of us and do so much for all of us.  I think we'd all be a little lost.  But, we're all adults now (my siblings) and I know we'd get through it.  I just hope it's not for a very, very long time from now!

So, as I think about my dad turning 70 I think about him growing up on the farm and loving cows.  He still loves his cows and just bought some more this past week, along with one for my nephews.  I think about his service in Vietnam and how that totally changed him.  How it would affect his life for the rest of his life, and how those who fought in Vietnam never got the welcome home like soldiers do today or the complete appreciation of a nation as they do now.  Those soldiers came back to isolation, depression, PTSD and so many other ailments that they've carried their entire lives.  My dad earned a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star in Vietnam, so he'll always be a hero in our nation's eyes...and his family's.  Like everyone, he's gone through some struggles, some hard times and even harder times, but he's worked his way back every time.  Growing up, he was the most patience man I knew...not so much any more, but that showed me a lot as a kid.  He has a kind and generous heart and just likes to help people.  He's the ultimate handyman and carpenter, and of course farmer at heart.  70 years.  70 years...that's a lot of living!

Age may just be a number, but when you live for a certain amount of years I think you've lived a full life.  Yes, it depends on what you did with your life to some extent, but if you're happy and content with your contributions then I think you can just simply enjoy each and every day ahead.  May blessings fill your days with peace and joy this coming week!! 

1 comment: