Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Do You Watch?

Do you watch the TV comedies Fresh off the Boat or Dr. Ken?  Both are 30-minute comedies with mainly Asian casts.  I think the last time we saw a majority Asian cast was back when Margaret Chow had her sitcom, All-American Girl.  I never watched that show nor have I really watched the most recent sitcoms.  Why?  I think because they are mostly filled with Asian stereotypes that haven't applied to me or that I necessarily don't care for...so, in other words it's not that funny to me.  I have watched a full episode of Dr. Ken and it was OK because Ken Jeong is funny in general, but not enough to keep me watching every week.  But, I do watch Last Man Standing right before Dr. Ken with Tim Allen.

Do you think it's strange that I don't watch shows with all Asian casts?  Finally there are actually Asians on the small screen and I don't care to watch them.  Weird?  Or do you get where I'm coming from?  Maybe I'll make more of an effort to watch each one and see if it appeals to me, but up until now it really hasn't.

Like with the Oscars discussion so rampant lately regarding diversity in films, we all just want to see ourselves represented on the big screen...to reflect our diverse culture.  And no, there aren't a lot of Asian actors out there that you see regularly on the big screen.  Yes, there is an Asian actor on Elementary, Lucy Lui, which I do watch because I like her and I do like the show.  And, there's an Asian actor on Marvel Agents of Shield show that I haven't watched.  She used to be on a soap opera I watched a long time ago.  So, there are a few regular Asian actors on the small screen, but is it enough?  It'll never be enough no matter what ethnicity it is (well, except for white), but progress can be slow and tedious.  We all just need to continue to make our voices heard and do our part in whatever small way that is...keep progressing, keep moving forward.

I hope your first week of February is going well and you are sticking with your new year's resolutions!  Many blessings to you today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment