Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Delving Deeper....

Per my last post, we (my parents, 2 nephews and I) attended my adoption agency's annual picnic in my area over the weekend and one gentlemen I met introduced me to a Korean adoptee Facebook group.  He encouraged me to join so I did the other day.

I've never been involved really in a Korean online community before so it was very interesting to read many of the posts from other adoptees.  Yes, it's comforting, educational, funny, etc.  But, one of the most interesting things posted by numerous individuals was about getting their DNA tested to find out their cultural make-up.  I've heard about this before on the T.V. show, Who Do You Think You Are, which takes celebrities and traces their family history.  In one episode with our Dallas Cowboys' legend, Emmitt Smith, he swabbed his check to get his DNA to find out where in Africa his ancestors were from.  It was fascinating.  And of course, I thought to myself right away that I would be interested in doing that someday.

So, after joining this new Facebook group and a majority of the posts are about individuals receiving the DNA kits and then posting what their results were is so interesting to me.  It's taking the next step and delving deeper into what our make-up truly is...through science...getting some solid, concrete answers to perhaps a lingering question or to a question that would help add a piece to the puzzle.  It doesn't tell us who we are...only we can own and find that out through our life journeys, but it does give us a base, a foundation, a beginning, or a starting place.

I think family trees and learning about where we come from and how we got here is so fascinating, so if this is part of the process for me then I'm ready for it.  Or at least I think I am!  But, at least the opportunity is there and I'm grateful for that.

So, as this potentially becomes a reality for me in learning more of my genetic make-up I'll definitely share it with you in hopes that it helps calm some of your fears or gives you the courage to take the step yourself.  We're all connected and I'm grateful to be able to share my journey with you as you continue to support me along the way.  Thank you!

Blessings to you this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment