Sunday, March 22, 2015

The Beauty Within

Yesterday, I showed my mom the clip about Korean beauty over the decades that I posted in my last blog entry on Wednesday.  She thought it was pretty fascinating, as well.  I think in any culture it would be interesting to see the changes in style and beauty as the decades go by and I know the organization that put together this one on Korea has also done it for other cultures, so check it out if you're interested.

So, it got me thinking about real beauty...not just what you see on the outside.  Obviously we can all pull out old pictures and see how much we've changed over the years.  My mom was just reminiscing about one of my old high school pictures she found and asked me how old I thought I was in that picture.  I told her 16, but I was actually 17.  "17!" she exclaimed.  I know, I know...just a kid!  Because a couple weeks ago I was reminiscing with a friend about some pictures from our past and we determined we were only 26 in those pictures!  Eeeck!  Where has the time gone?!  If we only knew then that we were really young and had the world in front of us, but it always seems when you are younger you just can't wait to be older for some reason.  Ohhh, to turn back the hands of time!

Growing up and even today, when I look in the mirror I don't really ever see an Asian person staring back at me.  I see some Asian features, especially the eyes, of course.  But, overall I don't stand there thinking "you're Asian" when I look in the mirror.  Not that I'm denying my ethnicity in any way....I fully accept who I am and where I came from....but, it not what I see when I look in the mirror.  I see a kind, loyal, funny, thoughtful, joyful person in the mirror.  I see the person I am...despite all the other labels.  I think if we all saw each other that way it would be a different world to live in...it would be more loving, caring, compassionate and respectful of one another.  I think if we saw the beauty within each individual instead of what makes him/her different on the outside we would find more peace and calm in the world...and it would be easier to change the world in a positive way.

But, in reality sometimes it's hard for us to really see our own individual beauty more less someone else seeing it (because we can't even see it ourselves).  If we don't believe in our true beauty, not just on the outside, but in the inside then no one else is going to believe it.  They may see it, but they may not fully believe it because we don't.  It's a process that continues in our life's journeys, but hopefully at some point we all become comfortable, accepting and grateful for our pure inner beauty.  And when you find that inner beauty and strength, let it shine for others to see and feel!!  Shine your light, your beauty brightly and you WILL change the world!

Blessings to you this last full week of March!!

No comments:

Post a Comment