Sunday, October 21, 2018

My First Solo Session...

For the past 2 days, my mom and I attended a local adoption conference.  It's the first adoption conference I've attended where I sponsored a table to sell my book and also spoke during one of the sessions.  It was my first solo speaking gig (and hopefully it wasn't too obvious for those that attended and are reading my blog for the first time), so of course a was a bit nervous beforehand.  But, I think it went well.  I wasn't nervous once I started speaking, but I wanted to make sure I got in everything I wanted to share.  So, I'm hoping the flow wasn't too off.  I received good feedback afterwards, so I'm hoping it helped answer some questions someone might have been having, or gave someone a different perspective on things, or gave someone an "aha" moment where something clicked, or even simply provided comfort to someone who saw themselves in my story.

It was a joy for my mom and I to meet so many wonderful people sharing their adoption stories with us.  We love hearing other's stories because as I've said before they are all different, special and unique in their own ways.  So, it's nice to share with one another and gain insight and understanding from one another.  

This was the first conference my mom has ever attended and she loved it!  She has that warm, friendly and approachable personality that she'll talk to anyone!  So, it helps when trying to draw people over to your table.  She loves to talk so much I had to tell her to dial it back a bit a couple times.  People have to get to the next session, I told her.  She's not a morning person and she got up really early to make it over to my house so we could get over to the conference to set up each morning.  So, I really appreciate all her support, help and waking up early each morning!  I couldn't have done it without her! 

Adoption can be difficult, hard, and messy at times, but it can also be so rewarding in so many ways for families.  The more parents can seek tools, resources, insights and different perspectives from people the better informed they can be, but parenthood doesn't have an exact road map...no matter if you have adopted children or not.  It's a process.  It's a journey.  To try and figure it out and I hope you remind yourself in those trying times that you're doing your best...and that's enough.  

I hope that in some small way, my story, my book can help shine a more positive light on the process and journey for you and your families.  I want you to find the humor in everyday situations or the silver lining in tough times.  Through laughter and love you'll get through it...you all will!  

So, if you missed out on purchasing my book at the conference or have been following my blog for awhile now and haven't purchased my book, now is the perfect time!  It's a great gift as the holidays approach, for your book club, mom's groups, or church groups.  Just go to www.kimfenneman.com.  You can purchase the book there or link to Amazon for the ebook.  Enjoy!

May blessings fill your week ahead with hope, inspiration and the courage to step out of fear and try something new!  

No comments:

Post a Comment