Sunday, August 26, 2018

Little League World Series

"The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat."  That was the slogan of the Wide World of Sports on ABC many years ago.  It rang true watching the Little League World Series today.  This may be the first time I've actually watched the the final game, but I think I was a little more intrigued because it was South Korea vs. Hawaii.  

It was also a little more appealing just because both teams had so many Asians...ha!  Well, it's true.  I always find it interesting studying the faces of South Koreans...especially kids and young adults.  I guess I'm looking for similarities or something.  But, there were just as many Asians on the Hawaii team which was pretty cool, too!

I just kept smiling as I was watching the game seeing the pure excitement and joy in the athlete's faces.  The pitcher for Hawaii was smiling from the start and had a great smile!  And, the South Korean players had so much fun during player introductions that you couldn't help but cheer for both teams.  I loved seeing the happiness on their faces after a great play, cheering on their teammates, and especially the sportsmanship.  The Hawaii pitcher hit one of the South Koreans while batting and walked over to first base to shake his hand.  Classy.

But in the end, there was the joy and exhilaration from the Hawaiians for winning and the devastation and sadness from the South Koreans that truly summed up "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat."  I felt so bad for some of the boys from South Korea who were crying, especially the catcher who took it particularly hard.  But, loved seeing all the hugs by both teams at the end.  So fun to watch and that's why we all love sports in some form or fashion.  

Cheers to the last week of August and may blessings fill up your week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment