Sunday, March 5, 2017

The Shack

Sorry I missed Wednesday's post!  I remembered and then forgot and then almost got to it and then forgot again.  I remembered again on Thursday and once again didn't get to it.  It was one of those weeks!

My parents and I went to see the new movie, The Shack today.  My mom and I had read the book years ago and I loved it!  The first part of the book was hard to read because of the content of the chapters, but after that it provided such an insightful and thought provoking perspective of how God sees us and the world.  There were SO many things that I saw from a new light after reading this book.  It definitely gave me a greater appreciation and understanding of God's light and lessons for us in life.

They always say the movie adaptation of a book is never as good and that's normally true, but I did enjoy this one.  There were some things that weren't in the book, but it lent to the story and there was much more humor in the movie that was unexpected.  Yes, it's a spiritual movie about the spiritual growth of a man (to put it simply), but it's more about God's view and love for us that resonates.  It's something we forget sometimes.  I know I do from time to time.  It just doesn't feel like he's there or listening especially during the hard, difficult times that we really need him and we're crying out for his love, mercy and answers.  The waiting...and yes, the building up of our patience levels...can be frustrating, uncomfortable and maddening at times!  They have been for me over the past year for sure!  And, I'm still waiting for the answers!  It definitely doesn't get any easier...at least it doesn't feel like it right now.  But, in the back of my head I know God is there.  I know he's walking beside me and guiding me.  And, I trust in Him.  I have faith in Him.  Trust in the Lord.  Trust in the Lord with all your heart!

At the core I believe all those things, but in times of angst, doubt, frustration, anger, disappointment and feeling lost at times it's hard to muster up those faith-based positive affirmations.  Sometimes you just want to wallow in your own self-pity.  It's easy, seems soothing, but only buries us further in our despair.  So, how do we keep moving forward?  Through God's grace...daily...step by step...one day at a time.

Most of us will never experience a "visit" from God as in the movie, although after watching the movie I almost wish I would, but we all have our own growth (spiritual or not) to face, overcome and learn from in our lifetimes.  And more than likely it won't happen just once.  Life is journey full of growth and continual learning...some greater than others.  And some more consequential than others.  But, life is about growing into the person we truly are...the true identity of the soul we were born with.  Opening up our minds to learning, loving and living the life we were meant to live through God's ultimate plans for each of our lives.  That's the beauty of his almighty power, grace and mercy.

The lessons in the movie and the book are something we ALL need right now!  It's a great reminder of our common humanity and how we label and judge everything and everyone we meet.  It reminds us of what's important to God and how he truly sees us.  It's a great message.  I highly recommend it to everyone...the book and the movie!

Wishing you thought provoking blessings this first full week of March!!


No comments:

Post a Comment