Sunday, April 28, 2019

Really? Aren't You A Professional?

Late last week, I contacted an old co-worker about connecting me with someone in his company about a current job opening.  I had worked with this person a few years ago and really only worked with or saw him about once a year at a major tradeshow.  At the event he would always flirt with me and ask me to hang out with some of the guys after hours.  I always declined.  Something never quite sat right with me, although he seemed like a nice guy.

Well, it became crystal clear in the first words of his response back to me..."Hey, white rice!"  Yes, he said that...wrote that.  Really?!!!  Are you kidding me?  Aren't you supposed to be a professional?  What makes you think that's OK or even remotely OK to say to an ex-colleague?  Perhaps to a close friend who knows you better, but there's nothing in our previous interactions that would make you think that was OK to say to me.  So, yes I was offended.  Am I surprised?  No, it's part of the stereotype that we all grow up with and face throughout our lives.  It's just sad when it does...especially as professional adults.

Do I linger on it or let it bother me?  No, because I choose to be a bigger, more understanding, more compassionate person who tries to focus on the things and people that are most important.  Don't let the little things or little people weigh you down!  Stay positive, true to yourself and always respectful of other people who are different than you...which is every one!!!

Blessings to you these final few days of April.  May all the April rain bring a bounty of beautiful May flowers!  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment