Wednesday, June 20, 2018

The Circle of Life

Last night, my mom, my sister, her son and my brother's two boys went to see The Lion King (the musical).  It was a fun evening!  The musical was wonderful and probably the funniest one I've seen over the years.  It was packed, of course, with lots of kids in the audience.  At one point where Simba is asking for help after his father falls, he says "Help! Someone?!"  And, a little girl from the audience says out loud, "Someone, please!"  It was so sweet.

The boys enjoyed it, as well as, the adults and my favorite part was probably the beginning with "The Circle of Life".  It's just such an iconic part of the show and as you're sitting there anticipating the start of the show it just gets you even more excited once it kicks off with that.  So, if you haven't seen it I highly recommend it, especially with your kids/grandkids.

The other cool part of the evening was driving into the parking lot (wait for it) and one of the parking attendants directing traffic saw the purple heart emblem on my parents car that I was driving.  She yelled at another attendant and told him we had a purple heart.  We felt a little embarrassed since my dad wasn't with us and he's the actual recipient of the award.  So, my mom told her that her husband wasn't with us and she said she didn't care.  Just to tell him that she was thankful for his service and that we could park that way (pointing forward).  We thanked her and I drove forward to a reserved section specifically for Purple Heart recipients (close to the front door).  We all were surprised, grateful and happy for the allowance to park there without my dad.  The three boys even took a picture next to the sign and my mom called my dad to tell him our good fortune thanks to his service.  

My dad is pretty humble about his awards (from the Vietnam War), but it's nice when strangers recognize his service and sacrifice.  So, if you see a veteran this week or any week, please make sure you thank them for their service and sacrifice.  I know they'll appreciate it!

Many blessings to all those that have and are serving in the military for our country.  May they be protected, feel the love and gratitude from a grateful nation and be given the support and services they need from their government and communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment