Sunday, November 24, 2013

To Divulge or Not To Divulge....

Our first wintry storm of the year...or so they said.  It's been cold, a few sprinkles, but no sleet, freezing rain or ice that had been forecasted.  So, this morning the decision to take my oldest nephew on his day-long outing/sleepover that I've promised him since his birthday in early October was in jeopardy.  But, after seeing the rain was going to hold off most of the day I decided it was a go!  

He almost bolted for my car as I arrived at his house to pick him up this morning.  He was definitely ready to go!  First, lunch...then, the Perot Museum of Nature and Science.  He loved it!  He enjoyed the energy exhibit, the mineral exhibit and experiencing an actual earthquake simulation.  He was a bundle of energy never taking a breath for non-stop conversation all day!  

On the way back home, we stopped at Wal-Mart so we could purchase food to donate to my church's food pantry.  I told my nephew to bring $2 with him.  He had no idea what it was for.  I explained to him what we were doing, why we were doing it and why it was important to give back.  He had no objections.  He totally understood and enjoyed trying to find as much food as possible for our budget (which was more than the $2 he brought).  I think it was a great lesson for him and I'm happy he was so enthused to participate!  Thankful for our day today, but especially for that moment.

I also mentioned to him that Mom and I had done a book signing at my church the previous Sunday.  I was about to mention to him the family that we had met who had adopted 2 children from South Korea, but in mid-sentence I stopped myself.  He doesn't know I'm adopted.  He doesn't even know what adoption is.  Was this the time to tell him?  I decided it wasn't.  He's still young, innocent and just sees me as his fun, cool aunt.  I think that's enough for now.  Life and all the social dramas that occur will come soon enough, but for now I just want him to be a kid.  To enjoy life as it is...simple, carefree and full of wonder!

As the day winds down, I'm pretty sure he hasn't yet...so, fun activities are still in order!  However, he did tell me he'd rather watch HGTV than the Wizard of Oz that is on tonight.  What?!  That's a classic!  Ohhh the generations, how they change!

No comments:

Post a Comment